Walk. Morningside Gardens. Happy Birthday, Warren Zevon.
Poor Poor Pitiful Me
Hasten down the Wind
Werewolves of London
Lawyers, Guns and Money
Thnigs to Do in Denver When You’re Dead
I Was in the House When the House Burned Down
Frank and Jesse James
Desperados Under the Eaves
Disorder in the House
Keep Me in Your Heart
Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door
One of my former work colleagues and friends posted the following on Facebook:
In your status line, list 10 albums that have stayed with you. Tag ten friends including me. These shouldn’t be the critics list, but records that mean something to you. Do it fast. Don’t research it.
I don’t often do this sort of thing but I decided to give this one a try. I suspected that because of differences in our ages and tastes, my list would be quite different from his. It was. Both lists contained amazing music.
It also proved an interesting exercise because it allowed me to consider the tunes I carry in my heart and my soul. These are the soundtrack of my life. Each recording played a role in my life. They associate with moments and experiences, transporting me back across time and space. Many smiles accompanied the process.
Here’s my list. The significance to the order is the order they occurred to me.
- Derek and the Dominos – Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs
- Jimi Hendrix – Electric Ladyland
- Jackson Browne – Late for the Sky
- Eric Bogle – Scraps of Paper
- Bob Marley and the Wailers – Exodus
- Bob Dylan – Blood on the Tracks
- Van Morrison – Saint Dominic’s Preview
- Black 47 – Fires of Freedom
- Carole King – Tapestry
- Warren Zevon – The Wind
This proved far harder than I expected. Here’s a second 10 – actually 11 since I sneak in two by Brother Neil.
- Seeds – the songs of Pete Seeger
- Mountain – Nantucket Sleighride
- Neil Young – Prairie Wind / Harvest
- Arlo Guthrie – Amigo
- The Band – Music from Big Pink
- Bruce Cockburn – Nothing But a Burning Light
- Bruce Springsteen – The Ghost of Tom Joad
- The Temptations – Puzzle People
- Archie Roach – Charcoal Lane
- John McCutcheon – Live at Wolf Trap
And many, many more crossed my soul as I worked on this.
What tunes do you carry? What music would be on your list?
See you along the Trail.
Filed under Friends, Music