Photos and videos of the New York City Pride March shared by family members and friends have touched and blessed me. Next year I will take vacation so I can participate.
My son posted a photo of a hate group with hate signs. He noted that they represent one reason why Pride remains needed. I offered ten points in response to him and to any one who was touched by hate because of their sexual orientation or gender identity today or any day.
- You are right. Pride is a necessary response to such hate.
- I am sorry you are right. I am sorry such thinking still exists. We are working to change it.
- We have work to do. I have work to do.
- These people are wrong.
- These people are [fill in your favorite colorful metaphor here].
- On the off chance that these people are … wait … see number 4.
- Love is stronger than hate and fear and anything else in all creation.
- Love is even stronger than stupidity.
- Each person is precious, beloved, beautiful. Just as the person is.
- I love you.
Happy Pride, son. Happy Pride, friends. Happy Pride, All.