What song lyrics would you suggest for a wedding sermon on love?
Tonight I had the privilege and joy to preach at the wedding of two friends. For the sermon I went with a reflection on love that used lyrics from a number of songs. Some I identified myself. Others were suggested by mutual friends: David Bowie, Laura Mariko Cheifetz, Noelle Tennis Gulden, DeLaina Gumbs, Irene Pak, Valerie Small, and Laura VanDale. For the little help that I needed to get by, I thank them.
Here’s the “playlist”:
- With a Little Help from My Friends – The Beatles
- What’s Love Got to Do with It? – Tina Turner
- Can’t Buy Me Love – The Beatles
- Free in You – Indigo Girls
- Do You Love me? – Fiddler on the Roof
- September – Earth, Wind, and Fire
- Unforgettable – Nat King Cole
- Home Is Where the Heart Is – Mary Travers and Holly Near
- Respect – Aretha Franklin
- Till the End of Time – Perry Como
- Treasure Island – Mary Black
- Bridge over Troubled Water – Simon and Garfunkel
- You Can’t Hurry Love – Diana Ross and the Supremes
- Love You ‘Till the End – The Pogues
- Power of Two – Indigo Girls
- Sometimes You Can’t Make It on Your Own – U2
- Let the Circle Be Wide – Tommy Sands
- How Can I Keep from Singing? – Eva Cassidy
What would you add?
See you along the Trail.